Saturday, September 22, 2012

All Better!


Time has gone by so quickly! I can hardly believe it’s been almost 6 months since my surgery! I had my 3 month check-up about 2 months ago (which would make it more of a 4 month check-up, I suppose) and the doctor gave me a clean bill of health. It was actually kind of anti-climactic to go all the way to the hospital and have them say “Yup – you’re healthy … that’s it!” After having been to Lynda’s appointments with her, my visit seemed quite brief. Lynda’s visits usually involved more than one doctor, and there were always extensive discussions on how she was feeling and the medications she was on. This is understandable, since her recovery is much more complicated than mine. My body was healthy to begin with, and aside from missing one kidney it didn’t have too much new stuff to get used to.

I’m feeling like my old self again. I can exercise (including sit-ups!), run, jump, go roller skating and do pretty much anything I used to do. I have been trying to exercise at least an hour a day for the last month or so. Even if it’s just some gentle stretching, I like to do something that gets me up and moving each day. 

My scars are almost gone, except the big one on my right side just above my bikini line. But it’s usually covered by underwear or bikini bottoms, and to be honest I don’t even notice it most of the time. 

kidney donor scar donation surgery

I am completely amazed by my body’s ability to heal. Sometimes it slips my mind for a few days that I had surgery, and then it dawns on me that part of my body is in someone else’s body right now. I sit and think about the whole experience, and I am humbled. I will always be grateful to have been able to be part of something so beautiful.