Monday, June 18, 2012

The Great Escape!

kidney donor organ donation surgery


The morning of my release from the hospital Dad came early (probably because I sent him a frantic text regarding my blister when I was having a panic attack) He loaded all of my stuff in the car and brought up a wheelchair to bring me downstairs. We wheeled past everyone at the nurse’s station, and down the hall to the elevator. It was a little terrifying, but not entirely painful … more uncomfortable I guess. With all the gas in my swollen belly I could feel every bump. 

There was some confusion when Dad left me at the front door to go get the car. When he came back he couldn’t get in (it was a holiday so they were locked), so I watched helplessly while he argued through the glass with a cleaning person who wouldn’t let him in. I tried to explain to the janitor that the person at the door was my father, but he just kept pointing at the other building entrance, and then to my dismay he came over and just started pushing me down the hall. That was a little scary.  I was helpless. Where was this guy taking me? Would Dad know where I was when I got there?? I didn’t even have my cell phone to call him and let him know where I was.  I decided there wasn’t much I could do, so I just sat there and hoped for the best. Dad is a pretty resourceful guy and he managed to figure out where I would be.  

Getting in the van was a lot less tricky than I thought it would be. It probably helped that the seats were kind of elevated. If it had been a Corvette I may have been in a bit more trouble. Dad had bought me a cane to help me stabilize myself and a bunch of pillows to get comfy. I made a nest on the seat and laid back a little. It felt so good to be out of the hospital. 


The trip home was a little traumatic. More uncomfortable than painful. It felt like I had a bowl full of jelly in my stomach. The gas left over from the surgery and my swollen abdomen amplified each bump, and lemme tell ya … Montreal is a very bumpy city! You don’t realize how bad roads are until you’ve had surgery and you’re trying to get home. I squeezed my eyes shut and hung on for dear life. Sometime after we got on the highway I must have fallen asleep. I woke up around 15 minutes from Mom’s house.  

Sleep is a wonderful thing. Not only does it make you feel better but it makes time go by very quickly.