Monday, June 18, 2012

Mom's House & The First Stages of Recovery

kidney donor organ donation surgery recovery
It was comforting to be in a familiar home, with no scary hospital sounds. That first night I just sat and listened to the silence … it was wonderful. 

Once I was home I needed help with everything. Getting in and out of a normal bed was complicated after having a bed that had magical buttons. I needed help to get up, sit down, go to the bathroom … everything! I am a very independent person so this was a bit of a departure for me. I got depressed for the first few days and would usually cry in the mornings. It was hard for me to not be able to do things by myself, and I felt like I wasn’t progressing fast enough. In retrospect this was kind of ridiculous. I just had major surgery for Pete’s sake! But at the time I was just frustrated and sad. I just wanted to be ok. I was being way too hard on myself. Everyone heals at their own pace. 
 
I got a little bit better every day. My appetite started increasing. I tried to stick to soft foods in those first few days because I still hadn’t had a #2 yet (I know … gross. But again, this is the reality of surgery). I ate a lot of steamed broccoli and oatmeal. I drank tons of hot water and tea. Warm liquids are excellent for your insides, they get stuff moving. My first BM after leaving the hospital was a milestone. I sent an email to my friend Jackie (who has also donated a kidney and has been a huge source of support for me). I knew she would appreciate the magnitude of this event. She did, and she gave me a big congratulations! I also called Megan, who has probably never discussed poop so much in her life up until this point. I think she was a little grossed out but she celebrated with me regardless, as any best friend would. 

 
I also did as much walking as possible. I would pace around the kitchen and into the living room. Around and around. I wasn’t really able to stand up completely straight for the first little while. I kind of hunched over my wound. I think it was more mental than anything. I would try to stand up a little bit straighter every day while I was walking. I could feel it stretching my belly out, which was uncomfortable, but if I just did it a little bit the next day I would be able to stand up straight that little bit more.